1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP George 'Boomer' Scott

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Scott played in the majors from 1966 to 1979, mainly with the Boston Red Sox and Milwaukee Brewers. He hit 271 career home runs and won eight Gold Gloves.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2013-07-29/george-scott-dies-death-red-sox-brewers

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I had many of these, vintage '79.

[​IMG]

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That was one big Boomer ... and could he rock those sideburns.

RIP.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

RIP. I mainly remember him from his last stint with the Red Sox (Even in 1978, the Red Sox-Yankees were front and center on Monday Night Baseball and NBC Game of the Week). As a kid, I just recall him as the guy with the gold necklace who wore the batting helmet when playing first base.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Retired a Yankee.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Of the '78 Sox, he, Butch Hobson, and Luis Tiant all eventually played for the Yankees.

I'm not sure any '78 Yankees ever went on to play for the Red Sox.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

RIP George "Boomer" Scott

Red Sox/Brewers 1B in the 1960s and 70s:

http://m.ddtonline.com/mobile/news/article_9794d3ee-f86b-11e2-8577-001a4bcf887a.html

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Re: RIP George "Boomer" Scott

Dang. Loved that guy.

#0 which, as a 4-year-old, I thought was cool as hell.

He only played two months with my1979 Royals but I remember him as a DH and at first. Big guy. Gigantic smile in the program.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Same here. Loved him, even though he always played for rival teams. He seemed larger than life. Good hitter and surprisingly agile and a soft glove for a man that big. Dunno why, but one of my thoughts is that he is one of those guys who just missed making real money playing baseball. Only by 5 to 10 years and he'd have probably fetched 10 times what I suspect he got paid. RIP.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Had the pleasure of interviewing him in his Greenville a couple of years ago. He had all of his Gold Gloves and many autographed baseballs. RIP to a Mississippi sports legend.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The first Brewers player to crack the $100,000 mark.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Every time I heard the guy's name, I'm reminded of what Spaceman Lee said the first time he saw the orange ring around the roof of Montreal's Olympic Stadium:

"It looks like what George Scott wore around his stomach when he was trying to lose weight."

Draft saved Draft deleted