1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gay Navigator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/us/30vankirk.html

Theodore (Dutch) Van Kirk, the navigator and last surviving crew member of the Enola Gay, the B-29 Superfortress that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima in the last days of World War II, died on Monday in Stone Mountain, Ga. He was 93.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

i saw what you done there

::)

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

RIP.

Adddendum -- Stone Mountain, Ga... where Jake "The Snake" Roberts hailed, if I recall my wrestling fanboi looser days correctly.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

There's a very good chance dropping the bombs saved my father's life. And thus made mine possible. RIP.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was actually looking something up about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and considering the number of POWs held throughout the country (particularly near larger cities), it is amazing how few POWs died in the bombings. It's probably a story nobody is rushing to tell since there were allied deaths (though far fewer than one beach landing, let alone hitting the main island) but there was great care taken into limiting exposure.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And the immortal Kenneth Ellen Parcell.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a hell of a pinpoint operation, it's a hell of a pinpoint operation.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

There was another thing I read in that after the bombs were dropped, several POWs who,had survived were taken by angry Japanese citizens and stoned to death.

Draft saved Draft deleted