1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Gary Richrath (REO)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What was alternative in the '80s?

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Y
    You are probably missing the reference.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Possible.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

New Order, Smiths, U2, REM...

The great Pixies were created in the 1980s, but even their greatness cannot overshadow all the lick my love pump glam rock and mind numbingly bad pop rock.

Iron_chet likes this.
  5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hence, why I said REO wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

REO: Champaign's own -- at least until Cronin joined.

Golden Country was their only good song.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

RIP to Gary Richrath and props to REO Speedwagon ... they paid their dues and made it big, living the dream thousands of Midwestern musicians dreamed in the 1960s and 1970s. I enjoyed the music of their late 1970s and early 1980s heyday, and I think the often-overlooked "Nine Lives" album is very solid.

BTW, I think Richrath got the solo writing credit for "Take it on the Run," and that was a sore spot later between him and Cronin, who claimed he actually wrote most of the lyrics.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Coco, was it Richrath who wanted the band to keep its edge while Cronin was pushing for ballads? I know there was a major struggle about that, but I'm not sure about the second principal.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

From what I recall from Behind the Music (you just knew REO had to have one), Cronin wanted to clean up his personal life, and Richrath wanted to party on -- part of their rift. Also, Cronin was supposedly jealous that Richrath's guitar parts were the things that people dug about the power ballads. I wouldn't put it past Cronin to revise history re his feelings for Richrath, who had health and weight issues for decades.

In my book, lots of great songs with some dreck mixed in. Somewhere along the line, the siren song of commercial success kicked in, providing the ethos in which the emotion-filled Time for Me to Fly (my second favorite REO song behind the Mike Murphy version of Riding the Storm Out) morphs into the treacly Can't Fight This Feeling.

I Should Coco and jr/shotglass like this.
  10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

They did have one great video version of "Can't Fight This Feeling" though. Jump to about 5:45 for the payoff.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Anytime I read something about Kevin Cronin,
    the underlying theme is pretty clear: "What an asshole."

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In some cases, literally.

Draft saved Draft deleted