1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Fred Travalena

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tommyp, Jun 29, 2009.

1. tommyp

tommyp Member

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/29/fred.travalena.dies/index.html

This is unreal. Who's next????

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

No!

This one hurts the most.

In the late 70s/early 80s, when you had Fred Travalena on a game show (Pyramid, Password, Tattle Tales, Match Game), you had a guaranteed hilarious week of television. Guaranteed.

On Monday, you'd be happy to see Fred and, by Friday, sad the week of taping was over.

Darn it.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I was going to ask a different question: Who's that?

Death sure is working its way down the celebrity ladder. Ralph Macchio is probably pissing his pants right now.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have no idea who this person is, but cancer is a bitch. At least he's not in pain.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Travalena was an impressionist, for those too young to remember. He was on game shows and made guest appearances. Fred, Rich Little, et al were the guys who did impressions of public figures before Carvey, Caliendo and others came around.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

fixed

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

You'd probably be correct in saying Travalena was a poor man's Rich Little, but he was still very entertaining when I would see him in various TV appearances. For anyone who remembers "The Buddy Holly Story," with Gary Busey, he played the DJ who locked himself in his studio while playing Holly's first single over and over.

Him and Danny Gans are probably doing an impressionists' showdown for the Big Man right now. RIP.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He was "MAD MAN MANCUSO" in the Buddy Holly Story. For a while I'd get him confused with Leno.
    Man - I don't know what the Jerry Lewis Telethon is going to look like on Labor Day. Surprised I didn't see Jerry Lewis on any of the Ed McMahon coverage.
    RIP Fred.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I'm beginning to wonder who's next myself. We have had 5 celeb deaths in the last week -- big names mostly -- spooky.

Loved watching Fred on game shows. RIP

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Last time I saw Travelena, he was on one of those religious channels doing his schtick (obviously clean). He apparently converted to Christianity late in life, but kept doing comedy.

11. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

And somehow Gary Busey has managed to stay alive long enough to celebrate his 65th birthday today.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

RIP Man of 1,000 Faces.

Draft saved Draft deleted