1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP (?) Fred Phelps

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Mar 16, 2014.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Re: Fred Phelps near death, also ex-communicated

This idiot and his followers CAN NOT ARRIVE IN HELL SOON ENOUGH for my thinking. Waiting for death's door to open wide here, folks.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I hope that doesn't happen. Doing a victory dance over Fred Phelps' corpse would only drag said dancers down to the level of the WBC and further entrench hatred of the outside world in the minds of current WBC members. Not exactly the way to show them the errors of their ways -- and there are minds there open to changing.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/03/15/fred-phelps-founder-of-the-god-hates-fags-westboro-baptist-church-is-on-the-edge-of-death/
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/03/17/former-westboro-baptist-church-member-lauren-drains-statement-about-fred-phelps/

If people really want to mess with the Phelpses, wouldn't the best way be to show them the kindness and compassion they've proven incapable (or unwilling) to show so many grieving families over the years? After all, it's the Christian thing to do.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly.

By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Oh, fuck that. Just pissing on his grave is too good. A big, nasty McDonald's shit right on his face would be better.

He deserves to be desecrated just like he tried to do with all the dead people whose funerals he picketed.

He and his followers did despicable things. Let them own it.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Given they kicked him out of the church, shouldn't the Westboro cult protest Fred's funeral themselves?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nope. They've treated an awful lot of people, who were at the absolute worst moment of their lives, like absolute shit. Do unto them as they would do unto you.

7. TrooperBari

So all that stuff about turning the other cheek, hate the sin but love the sinner, "vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord" ... just empty rhetoric?

8. TrooperBari

I thought those of us in civilized society were supposed to be better than that and above the sort of behavior displayed by the WBC. Or have I given us too much credit?

9. MisterCreosote

For me? Yes.

People face consequences for their actions every day. Why should these assholes be any different?

Just because no one wants to be held accountable for their actions anymore doesn't mean they shouldn't be.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Of course he deserves it.

It doesn't mean anyone should stoop to that level.

11. MisterCreosote

Holding him accountable for his actions is not stooping to his level.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've seen it come to that. Police had to step in. But the van that drove them to and from the protest (owned by the local fire dept, part of the protection package I guess) didn't escape unscathed.

Draft saved Draft deleted