1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Frank Buckles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Feb 28, 2011.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

West Virginia elected officials are trying to get permission for him to lie in repose in the Capitol.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's the least they could do -- he should be waked in the U.S. Capitol, not the state Capitol, though.

3. NoOneLikesUs

I'm sorry, it is the U.S. Capitol.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sorry, NOLU, I misunderstood. That would be a fitting tribute to a great man.

5. Why?
    Because he the last survivor of WWI (who lived to be 110!)?
    That's not enough of a reason for me. Fly the flags at half-staff? Absolutely.
    Lie in state at in the U.S. Capitol? No. That is a special, special honor. And while I respect Buckles' service to the country, I don't think his passing merits being allowed to lie in state.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I disagree. It's not so much honoring Buckles personally, but a nod to all the Doughboys. He's the last of them, the last time we'll be able to say "thanks" in that manner.

Of course, I see Boehner is blocking that... so, Screw Our Troops!

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's the end of an important era in our history, one we conveniently forget about.

Anyway, you're getting your wish. Boehner kicked a fit about it, and it won't happen.

8. He'll still be honored in a ceremony at Arlington, which is fitting.

9. NoOneLikesUs

Boehner is an asshole to the core, but then again this remains consistent with historical U.S. gov't policy regarding WWI vets.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's the end of an important era in our country's history. Given our three-second attention spans, we should pay a little more homage to Mr. Buckles. I wouldn't have a problem with the last WWII, Korea, Vietnam or Iraq vet getting the same distinction in the future.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I would agree that having Buckles lie in state in the Rotunda would be a proper action, but I don't think many people would be drive to care because of it either. Regardless of whether he were to lie in state, most people would process the news in the first day and move on, possibly revisiting it when someone breaks out a long-form piece for a magazine or a Sunday morning news show or NPR does a WW1 retrospective.

12. That is a great point, which is why I oppose the lie in state idea. Those who lie in state, more often than not (aside from the unknown soldiers) were done so for individual honors. Buckles was recognized for being the last of a era. Not as an individual. Heck, he needed a special exemption from Bush to be buried in Arlington.
    Had he died 20 years ago, he would have gotten next to zero recognition.

Draft saved Draft deleted