1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ford Taurus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Oct 19, 2006.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Well, they were called Tauruses, but the NASCAR models had nothing to do with the production car. The NASCAR ones were V-8, rear-wheel drive and the bodies were just sheetmetal attached to a heavy-duty frame. I doubt there was one part that was shared between the track and production versions.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Poin, they were good solid, well made cars from the onset to about, oh, the mid 90's or so. They had nice little touches (like a grocery net) and there seemed to be some intelligence behind the design details.

At the time, the wagons were perfect 'cause my three kids were all in hockey so you could fit all their stuff in. Plus the wagon had a built in roof rack.

They just let the damn thing go to hell in a hand basket.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

In the mid 80's, North Americans were still driving big honking hulks like the Chrsyler Cordoba:

[​IMG]

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I like the Tauruses (Tauri?) that came out from 1996 on. (Which basically copied the Mazda 929.)

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I must have lived in a different North America in the '80s. I don't know of anyone who owned a Taurus and I certainly don't even think I saw a Cordoba.

Not including fleet sales, did the Taurus/Cordoba outsell Japanese cars?

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Taurus' suck. Not as badly as the Tempo, but still a piece of crap vehicle.

My parents owned a Taurus. I eventually owned a Tempo.

I'll never buy a Ford again.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothin better than a crappy Taurus grill/front headlight set... faded, milky, crappy..

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

My wife's Taurus was totaled by a guy who ran a red light about 12 days ago. It was a good car and it kept her safe in a pretty bad accident. That said, I probably won't be replacing it with another Taurus.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

About one out of every four cars sold in the U.S. during the 1980s was an import, and Japanese cars made up the largest portion of those imports.
    That still leaves you with 75 percent of 1980s auto sales being U.S. cars.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Well, unless you don't count the Audi 5000, which it strongly resembled. :)

The Taurus was a milestone car in the American market. As OTD pointed out, look what it replaced -- that was a representative American car of the time. The Taurus brought modern, aerodynamic styling to middle America, along with handling -- it was very sophisticated for its time. It was a big seller, and from 1992-1995 was the best-selling car in America. Then they redesigned it and it lost popularity; I'd argue because it was hideous.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The NYTimes article seems to have disappeared.

I don't have the numbers but I would guess that Taurus was one of North America's best-selling cars '86 to the early 90's. They started getting a little tired after that, mostly because Ford neglected them.

Now, if I had a choice between my Camry and a Taurus from the early days, I'd choose a Toyota in a heartbeat. But the Taurus is still one of the best N American cars I've owned. Did I mention reliable?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're right about the Audi.

You hit on something; it brought contemporary styling to Middle America. Believe it or not, particularly at the beginning, there was a degree of sophistication about them.

Mac, I think part of the problem was they DIDN'T redesign it. They neglected it and the original design started to look old and tired.

Draft saved Draft deleted