1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP F117-A stealth fighter

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 21, 2008.

1. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

AA:
    God damn, sonofabitch, shit, mudderfuckingasshole, syphletic afterbirth of bug-fucking bastard?

That who you talking about? His hooch got fragged.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Did Hartman say that in FMJ? I don't recall that line.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The M16/M4 is still a good weapon. It and its predecessors haven't been around 44 years for nothing. And the reason it hasn't been replaced by any of those weapons that are "better" is because none of them have provided a significant improvement. Sure they're are better weapons out there. But we haven't found one capable of offering an improvement worth scrapping a weapon so widely used. It's not easy to replace that many weapons, train an ENTIRE ARMY on how to use it and hope it works in the middle of a war.

It'll most likely be around for a long time.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That's what we were looking for. Thanks TBF.

5. three_bags_full

As a matter of fact, I'll give a report from the top this weekend. I'm sitting in on a briefing from General Cody, the Vice Chief of Staff, on Friday. I'll ask him.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Please do. I wonder about the lead time involved in a full-scale integration and replacement operation. What's your take on that? Five years? Ten?

7. three_bags_full

Well, after some reading on the HK416, it may even be closer than we think. Special Operations Command is expected to field a limited number of them this year. Of course, they won't share anything with the rest of the Army. Hell, we may not even see it, if they go full-speed with it. Never know. I couldn't even begin to put a timeline on it.

8. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

AA: No came from the lips of a gunny named Abraham.

TBF: Figured once they had dumped the .45 sidearm for 9 mm, they'd upgrade the 16. Back in the day, some Marine units — by choice — foraged some '03's rather than use the M-14. Who knows where they found the '03's.

9. Now that we're onto guns, what is/was the effect of the AK-47 on American armaments. For a while way back in the day, they were described almost as a super-rifle.

10. three_bags_full

Our body armor, which contains an improved protective plate called the Enhanced Small Arms Protective Insert, can stop armor piercing rounds and can take up to three AK-47 rounds (7.62MM) rounds. The vest itself, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interceptor_body_armor , can stop a 9mm round and handles shrapnel very well. It is also equipped with a system that mimics our gear-attachment system so we can strap all our crap to them.

Good stuff.

11. So what were the breakthroughs that made the AK ahead of its time, if it actually was?

12. three_bags_full

It's cheap as hell and doesn't malfunction. Cheap as hell being the key variable.

Draft saved Draft deleted