1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP ex-Saint DE Will Smith in road rage shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Mike Triplett ESPN Staff Writer
    [​IMG]
    The attorney for the accused killer of Will Smith again brought up the fact that there is reason to believe a second gun was on the scene during the incident that led to Smith's death. The attorney, John Fuller, didn't specify whether he believes the gun was in Smith's possession, but he said there are a "few things" that have been withheld from the public so far and hopes it will be provided.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

If I taught driver's ed (a scary thought to many of you, I know) on the very first day of class, I'd stress that driving is very serious business. It's very personal. If you do something rude or careless, you're messing with somebody's life or livelihood, so don't be surprised if somebody wants to kill you.
    I wish people would lighten up, but that's reality. People get a little testy when their lives are threatened.
    About 15 years ago, a woman threatened to shoot me because I came a little too close to her when she was leaving a parking lot. She said if her kid wasn't in the back seat, she would have shot me. I didn't call the police because they probably would have cited me for dangerous driving.
    Another time, I accidentally cut someone off. He pulled in front of me, drove about 50-60 yards ahead of me, then started to back up at speed toward my car, stopping just short. I got the message; it doesn't matter if what you did was intentional or not, the car wouldn't be any less damaged and people wouldn't be any less hurt or dead.
    But if I'm such a bad driver, how come I don't get in more accidents?
    Like I said, I wish people would just lighten up and accept no harm, no foul, but I guess that's the way it is.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The best way to avoid trouble while driving is to stay focused on your phone.

Ace, RickStain and Smallpotatoes like this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Road ragers are morons who somehow are convinced they've never made a mistake. Anybody who's ever driven an appreciable amount has either fucked up or come close to fucking up.

TowelWaver and Smallpotatoes like this.
  5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And I know it's hard to do in the heat of the moment, especially if you think your life was endangered, but I wish people would realize that and cut everyone else some slack.
    It's only driving.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well if he is convicted of a felony he may lose his right to legally purchase firearms. So let's not jump the gun on that Dickie.

8. Dick Whitman

Video emerges that the victim hit the shooter's car eight minutes before the shooting. The victim pulled over, expecting, presumably, for the ritual exchange of insurance info, etc. Instead, victim takes off driving. Shooter takes off after him. Shooter calls 911 along the way.

Interesting stuff.

It sure is sounding like the apparent connection between them - i.e. Smith's friendship with the police officer - may have truly been a coincidence.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As a lawyer, would you say it's justifiable to shoot someone who put a dent in your Hummer and drove away?

10. Dick Whitman

11. Dick Whitman

Most likely scenario:

• Smith, maybe drinking, rear-ends Hayes at a stoplight.
    • Hayes pulls over, thinking they are going to exchange insurance information.
    • Instead, Smith takes off, perhaps because he's been drinking.
    • Hayes takes off after him, calls 911.
    • I'm not sure why Hayes rear-ended Smith. Maybe it was an accident. Maybe he was in a rage. The fact that he called 911 seems to indicate the former, but who knows?
    • Smith gets out of the car and confronts Hayes.
    • Smith starts storming back to his car and says he's going to get his gun.
    • Hayes gets scared because he thinks Smith is going back to his car to get his gun and shoot him, panics, and shoots him dead.
    Sound about right?

12. Dick Whitman

See my more recent post. I don't think that's why he shot him. I'm pretty sure he felt threatened and that he had to shoot before Smith shot him.

Draft saved Draft deleted