1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP ex-Saint DE Will Smith in road rage shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 10, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Goodness.

Not the time to flaunt your faux "access," guys.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, he was a great father.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I once cut someone off trying get out of a retail parking lot onto a main road. I had been sitting forever because traffic was so bad, so finally I just had to be aggressive to get in. I didn't even cut him off that badly, but he was pissed. Pulled up alongside me and started screaming at me. I laughed at him, which only enraged him further.

He kept trying to cut in front of my and jam on his brakes so I'd hit him. Even tried jamming on his brakes and opening his door so I'd take it off. I kept avoiding him, though, so he then tried to run me off the road at the on-ramp to the highway. I managed to avoid him by pulling the Top Gun maneuver of slamming on the brakes and letting him fly by, and then I merged onto the interstate. I called 911 as I avoided him and other traffic. He finally took the next exit and it was over. The whole chase lasted probably two minutes and our speeds ranged from a dead stop up to as high as 100 mph.

Adrenaline was going and I was pretty impressed with my own driving skills when it was all over, but suffice to say, I try to avoid conflicts while driving as much as I can.

6. Dick Whitman

That doesn't cast too much doubt, to me. Caught in the cross fire.

It's interesting that the shooter apparently stayed at the scene until police arrived. You don't see that very often.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Stand-up guy.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Hell of a job Mav! Yeah, all it takes is one incident to make you realize it's not worth it. The spitting incident was hilarious to me but it also shook me up a little. No telling what would have happened if I couldn't get past him to pull away.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh certainly plausible. Depends where she was. I have no idea, as I said, about how it went down but I have the impression the guy just started blasting away.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This case could go so many different ways. I'm wondering exactly what Smith was doing heading to the guy's car -- it doesn't sound like he was preparing for a peaceful and rational discussion.

Fair to say we can dismiss the first reports of "coincidence," though. Should listen to YF.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And that story on the attorney by Florio is awful.

12. Dick Whitman

That was my impression, as well, probably based on the police description of it. You would think if Smith had a gun, that would have come out pretty early. But who knows? I don't know why the guy sticks around unless he feels like he has a solid defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted