1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP ESPN The Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 30, 2019.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

They are idiots for making the vault free.

I subscribe to the print version of the New York Times Book Review and receive it by Wednesday in the mail each week, at least three days before I could get it in a weekend Times. I enjoy reading such things in print. Same with New York Review of Books. They don’t give that shit away for free online — not all of it, anyway. And they certainly don’t give free access to its archives. Neither does The New Yorker. It’s like some places have no sense of what their content is worth...

wicked likes this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Lugnuts and bumpy mcgee like this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My father had that happen with SI. He kept getting two copies a week, then when his subscription ran out, he kept getting the copies for another month or so for free.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I looked it up and saw I paid $7.97 for a two-year subscription in August 2017, so it will take me to the end.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I still enjoy the Sunday NYT book review and cultures sections -- and sports features --, in print, so I don't have to stare at a damn screen for all my reading.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Independent bookstores have grown over the last decade after being pronounced dead.

Vinyl was once placed on life support.
    I saw a story last week that audiocassettes are making a comeback.
    What is old is or will become new again, as there seems to be an agreement in the collective consciousness that things used to be better.
    The digital age has not taken the culture to a good place, I would think that's plain to see.

Fredrick and wicked like this.
  7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I just restarted mine... and now I'm going to cancel it. I pay for the gluttonous paper.

That said, I have no idea how long ago my subscription ran out. All my magazines seem to have vanished simultaneously.

What will I read on the elliptical?

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

To be clear about the paywalls etc. - newspapers and magazines; primary source of revenue has always been designed to be advertising. High readership led to more advertising which led to more money. Readership had been declining pre-internet. So it really wasn't giving away the content "for free" that killed print - but the loss of market penetration which led to lower advertising - advertisers found better products to reach the customers they wanted. The same thing that killed Sears (trying to be everything for everyone) was what killed print.

Fredrick likes this.
  10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I prefer magazines in print and newspapers online.

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I remember reading a feature about a Penn female athlete (I think) on ESPN.com that killed herself. Jumped off a building or something. Absolutely one of the worst written stories I have read in a decade or so. Gave no insight or resolution. Just kind of a shock piece to try and grab you with its unusual topic, but it failed miserably. I have zero interest for ESPN.com or its magazine for features.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Who reads on the elliptical? That's time to listen to some good tunes!

Draft saved Draft deleted