1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP ESPN The Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not unexpected, I guess.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I wrote for the Mag a few times, so I'll always have a soft spot for the pub. I even wrote a few times for EspntheMag.com, which was like some bastardized off-shoot of Page 2. But I can remember editors I worked with at ESPN saying as far back as 2009 that the Mag was on life support, so this seems long overdue. It had some quality pieces, for sure. But sports magazines that focus on mainstream sports are fighting a losing battle nowadays. RIP

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It was doomed the day John Skipper left. Weirdly, the first print place I've written that's shut down. That's a funny feeling that I managed to dodge for longer than most, I suppose. Not nice.

4. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

As a wise person said on Twitter a few minutes ago, it's a sad day for those of us who like paper, word counts, ink and double trucks.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A home for a lot of us. Sad to see it go.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That sucks. Was down to a monthly recently and most didn't notice.

Had some great articles and writers in there in recent years. But I did think it was always propped up by the ESPN brand.

And here everyone thought it would outlast SI.

7. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

A great many talented people did a lot of excellent work there. Wishing them the best.

From a media business perspective I was always curious as to whether ads were sold specific to ESPN the Magazine or if they were included as part of a package across ESPN properties—and if those ads were part of a package, how that counted toward the magazine's bottom line.

8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

The news says as much about ESPN as it does print. ESPN can't really afford vanity projects like The Mag. SBJ says it's been bleeding money for several years.

Alma and Doc Holliday like this.
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Remember when it first came out and it looked like a middle-school art project?

Lugnuts likes this.
  10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I've gotten the magazine as part of my ESPN-Plus subscription for the last four or five years. I think I've opened it once. I've never read an article in it. I can get everything I need online. Don't feel like wasting my time with a magazine.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I'd ask if I'm getting a refund on my subscription, but I think that ended awhile ago and I'm still getting issues.

Baron Scicluna and Lugnuts like this.
  12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Lots of features on ESPN.com were in fact ESPN The Magazine features and were better because that's where they were made.

Draft saved Draft deleted