1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP: ESPN Classic?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have Comcast and noticed that they've quietly removed ESPN Classic from the lineup. A little digging reveals that it was ESPN that has phased the channel out of its normal lineup, and into a streaming on-demand service like ESPN3.

So I guess it's still around in zombie form, but I wonder what this says about the state of ESPN as a whole. Are things getting so dire that they can't afford to have a rerun channel? It couldn't have been a rights thing, since even if they just showed the games they broadcast themselves they'd have an endless supply of content. Is it an attempt to target cord cutters or an experiment to get ahead of the curve on streaming services?

The digging revealed what happened, but not the why behind it.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I had it in my hotel room at the Luxor in Vegas when I was out there a couple of weeks ago. It was nice to go to sleep with old Big East games from the 1980s each night. Also replayed the 1995 Rose Bowl and, two minutes into my viewing, they showed Jerry Sandusky on the sidelines.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That spot is expected to become the ACC Network.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

HD killed ESPN Classic. The hi-def of today makes pretty much all pre-2008 recorded live television almost unwatchable. Blurry, grainy, like watching VHS home movies.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Great point. We all say we'd watch the lumberjack races and Home Run Derby, but in reality we'd watch five minutes of 'em. And if you really need a fix, a lot of that stuff is on YouTube.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, ESPN Classic is one of those things where I go "What, they're taking that off? How can they do that, those bastards?" And then two seconds later I realize I haven't even watched that channel in ages.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We still have it, right next to ESPN and ESPN2 in the channel lineup. I would not be adverse to it being replaced by the ACC Network.

You can only watch so many 15-year-old bowl games where you already know the result.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think I still have a stash of VCR tapes of old games I recorded when we first got the satellite and it was just Classic Sports Network.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I remember putting in on during college house parties in March and betting girls on who would win. Plenty of $5 bets won. Some girl was beside herself that Michigan came back to beat Seton Hall.
    "How did you know?"
    "Because they played like 15 years ago."

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

And that's how it works
    It's how you don't get the girl, girl, oh

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The shorts weren't a giveaway?

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Classic used to show Dick Enberg's sports quiz show, with his awesome 70s wardrobe. /crossthread/

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted