1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ernie Holmes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 18, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fixed

They only changed the rules because of him.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was easy to follow. But it was meant to point to something about playing in the NFL leading to relatively early deaths. And he's not wrong about that.

But Holmes died in an automobile accident, not from the wear-and-tear on his body from playing football. Apparently he fell asleep at the wheel, nothing exclusive to football. My grandfather did that once (but survived) when he was about the same age as Holmes, but he was a tall, skinny guy who never played a down of football in his life.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yeah... and plenty of people who never played football have committed suicide, too.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry Simon. While I agree that playing in the NFL is hazardous to anybody's health, I think it is a bit nuts to use this one as evidence.

And yes, anybody who forgets the secondaries on those Steelers' teams in the early '70s is missing out. That's what was so toughabout them. Tremendous mix of dominant players.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I gave the fact.

It's inarguable.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Ernie Holmes played a bouncer in either Fright Night, The Terminator or both. Too lazy to check iMDB for sure. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted