1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ernie Holmes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Didn't he box for a bit too?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh. I thought perhaps you actually had a point you were trying to make. My mistake.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The fact is the point.

4. outofplace

Which leads us right back to the fact that getting killed in a car accident has nothing to do with being a former football player.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Being dead before you are 60 does appear to have something to do with being a football player.

And you have no clue what may have gone on behind the wheel.

So, again, the fact is that he's dead and he hadn't turned 60.

Further, the greatest percentage of ex-NFLers who fit into that stat, are from the Steelers.

Of course, Justin Strzylzcek only died in a non-relateable car crash, too, right?

6. outofplace

See, you were trying to make the point. And you have no idea what happened behind that wheel, either.

Strzezlczyk was bipolar and he was not medicated properly. Perhaps you can make the argument that he was enabled rather than treated properly because he was midly successful as a football player, but that is a serious reach.

There is absolutely no information at all about Holmes' death that links to football, so it is a bit silly to make the argument that it does based on nothing. He happens to be another former NFL player who died before the age of 60, but there is no reason at this point to see that as anything but coincidence.

Mike Webster is the one former Steeler that I can think of that fits your argument. His health issues were clearly related to steroid abuse and the physical beating he took in the NFL.

Even Steve Courson, who blamed his heart problems on steroids he took while he was with the Steelers, didn't die from that. He had a tree fall on him.

Or do you want to argue that it happened because he learned to be too reckless by playing in the NFL?

7. Simon_Cowbell

Dude... I don't know the exact "why" behind anyone dying by themselves.

But you can't argue the fact. If an ex-athlete dies under 60, there is a much better chance that person was an NFLer.

Killing ya.

8. outofplace

Only in your own delusional mind, Simon. You want to argue that playing in the NFL is hazardous to your health and most likely former NFL players have shorter life spans than former athletes in other sports? I agree.

But to link it to Holmes' death when all we know is he died in a car accident? No, that doesn't support your point at all.

And really, what does the number of Steelers have to do with it?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just curious, what's the stat?

10. Simon_Cowbell

I believe it is 19 since 2000....

11. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

All things being equal, he was part one hell of a front seven.
    Let's take the opportunity to the celebrate the greatness of the Steel Curtain: There will never be another unit like it! :D

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why do you hate mel blount?

(and, FWIW, i do think simon's original point was fairly easy to follow.)

Draft saved Draft deleted