1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ernie Harwell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 4, 2010.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just breaking.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I shouldn't be so sad that a man who lived a full and wonderful life bringing pleasure to so many people died at 92. But I am.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ugh. We knew it was coming, but this case is more proof that no matter how well prepared any of think we are, we're not.

RIP Mr. Harwell. Keep Pounding and keep announcing wherever you're going next.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Well said.

RIP to an all-time great.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, fuckall.

Even when I didn't care about baseball, I cared about Ernie. RIP, good man.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've always dreaded this day.

RIP.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Guess God needed someone to tell it straight with good humor. We all knew this was going to hurt. It didn't help. RIP.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They just mentioned it on YES.

They're talking about his career. He started with the Atlanta Crackers.

The Crackers? Really?

That's pretty funny.

Didn't listen to him enough.

I need to remind myself to to use my MLB app & extra innings package to listen to Scully while I have the chance.

With the current generation of blow hards and "signature calls", will there ever be another generation of announcers who earn the love and respect of the fans like Harwell?

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I bet Harwell and the Carays are sitting around having a couple cold beers together right now.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP to a great one.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Detroit Free Press obit, which obviously was prepared ahead of time, but contains a lot of good background nonetheless:

http://www.freep.com/article/20100504/SPORTS02/100504087/1321/Voice-of-Detroit-Ernie-Harwell-dies-at-92

I'm like Michael --- it's hard to feel too sad for someone who lived so long. I'm sure he had no regrets.

But as a history buff, it's a huge loss for us all any time you lose someone who lived through so many great moments in American culture.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The Negro Leagues team in Atlanta was the Atlanta Black Crackers ...

As for the other announcers, I think Scully is the last of the breed now. I can't think of anyone else still announcing who matches Harwell's presence.

Draft saved Draft deleted