1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Ernest Borgnine at 95

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Jul 8, 2012.

1. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

I watched 'Marty' about a year ago. Brilliant, beautiful and sensitive film in an era where there wasn't a whole lot of that.

Hell, I didn't realize he was in Superfuzz. That used to play on HBO just about every day when I was 12. Always remember the scene where the cop catches a bullet with his teeth.

One of my favorite lines of George Carlin's standup: Who stole my nude pictures of Ernest Borgnine? RIP to a great actor.

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Glad you brought this up, BTE. I recall it being a pretty darned good made-for-TV flick on ABC (IIRC).

"Bad Day at Black Rock" and "Ice Station Zebra" also came to mind upon learning this news. As someone else mentioned, Borgnine seemed well grounded and truly appreciative of the success he attained.

RIP.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Same here. I always wanted that helicopter.

4. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Marty is a timeless classic, but my favorite Borgnine role was the aforementioned Dutch from the Wild Bunch. "PIKE!!!!!"

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

On that last part, there are numerous stories of people being picked up hitchhiking by Borgnine in the 1970s and him helping them out. Almost to the point of urban legend, but apparently true. of course, I can't seem to find articles to back that statement up right now...

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He scared the hell out of me in The Devil's Rain.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and husband of Ethel Merman (NOT Berman) . . . for about twenty minutes.

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Herb Stempel just cursed and doesn't know why.

RIP to one hell of an actor. He always reminded me of Eli Wallach in that he was someone who could be imminently likable but then also play a great villain. An actor's actor.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Nice pull.

[​IMG]

"Oh, no. Oh, no. Don't, don't do that. Not Marty. I sawr Marty three times. The Best Picture from two years ago, and I don't know it?"

11. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

What a character - but a nice one. Glad he found the right fit with his last wife. Showed a lot of class too; never bad-mouthed Ethel Merman though she read him to filth. He had a nice work ethic as well - still plugging well into his 90s. Just an all around good natured guy who'll be missed. Rest in peace Ernest.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Also more than capably played a sadistic psychopath in "Emperor of the North" alongside Lee Marvin.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted