1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Eric Woolfson...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by steveu, Dec 4, 2009.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

You may not know the name, but you know the band. He was the lead singer for the Alan Parsons Project. Yes, the song "Eye In The Sky" (whose beginning is heard at a lot of sporting events) but also the singer for great songs like "Games People Play" and "Time".

Cancer claimed him at 64. Sad.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

"Eye In The Sky" intro was the one made famous by the Bulls, right? I didn't know that until recently.

Alan Parsons Project is responsible for one of my very favorite videos of all-time, "Don't Answer Me."

Awesome concept, gorgeous pop song, beautifully sweet storyline. That video always makes me smile.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

(it had to be done)

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Forgot all about that. Hilarious to this day. :)

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Woolfson and Parsons were the core of the act -- Parsons was the brain behind it and Woolfson did most of the instrumentation -- but the Project had a long list of guest singers in addition to Woolfson. Even Kip Winger sang with them (wazzup BYH?).

The intro to "Eye in the Sky" by the way is called "Sirius."

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

It did, and we're glad of it. :D

"www dot shh dot com....dot org!"

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That paved the way for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft.

8. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

At the risk of sounding like an Alan Parsons' ubergeek, "Games People Play" lead vocals were sung by Lenny Zakatek.

Eric Woolfson had without a doubt the best voice of anyone who sang for the Project. The pure smoothness of his voice plus his incredible range make him, IMHO, one of the best singers in progressive rock music.

Rest in peace, sir.

9. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Proud to be known as APP ubergeek. RIP, Eric Woolfson.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow. I'd just sung an Alan Parsons Project song in the honor of a huge fan who'd died a few months back.

RIP.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Michael Jordan will jog out into the middle of his kitchen in memory.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Time" is one of the most saddest songs, but one of my faves.

RIP, Eric.

Draft saved Draft deleted