1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Eric Medlen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl2, Mar 23, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

NHRA driver for John Force's team suffered a closed-head injury in a crash on Monday. He was removed from machines today.

33 years old.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=8&id=2809984

I talked to Medlen last year. Great guy. Really loved what he was doing. Grew up around it, followed his dad into it, and finally got into a good ride after starting out on the mechanical side of it.

This sucks.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yeah, what she said.

(Veni, vidi, D_B)

3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Yeah, and how SHE spelled it (Medlin?) ...

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

She spelled it Medlen because he spelled it Medlen. That is his name.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

It was in reference to a similar thread that was created, with an incorrect spelling.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh. Well, insider jokes aren't what I expect to find on RIP threads so I missed the point.
    My bad.

Tough accident to survive. You go from close to 300 mph to nothing that fast, the body just can't handle it. I looked up his injury on Google. Ugh.

RIP

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I really feel for his family, that's a difficult situation ... and a terrible loss.

RIP. :'(

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

RIP.

Nothing can guarantee complete safety in racing (maybe especially drag racing), but they really should put "soft" walls at drag strips.

9. skippy05

skippy05 Member

Eric was a guest on my motorsports show on a couple of occassions. Really good guy. He was one of those people that makes you glad you cover motorsports. Just a real tragedy. That's the terrible part of this part is knowing at some point, a driver you knew is going to die. Paul Dana was a friend of mine and this weekend is the one-year anniversary of his death. Just another terrible tragedy. Godspeed, Eric...prayers and white light to your family...

10. Keystone

Keystone Member

A class act.
    He was being groomed by Force to be the main spokesman for the team. Talked a mile a minute, just like his boss.
    His death is a big blow to the sport.

11. lono

lono Active Member

Incredibly sad.

Been doing this a long, long time and still never quite get over good men dying young in the pursuit of speed.

Peace be with you, Eric.

Draft saved Draft deleted