1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Encyclopedia Britannica

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Mar 13, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

At least the print version:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/mar/13/encyclopedia-britannica-halts-print-publication?CMP=twt_fd

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I fear for the day when Encyclopedia Brown suffers his fate at the hands of Wikipedia Willie.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Although Bugs Meanie was seen lurking outside of the clubhouse.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The Britannica got me through school. Way, way ahead of World Book. Think the 1964 edition cost $1,200 or something, including the Atlas. RIP.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Let's look up "obsolete" ... hmm ...

Seriously. I think this is sad. Until they figure out how to archive electronic information for future generations in the same manner they can books, I don't like this at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

My favorite encylopedia was whatever one you could buy one volume at a time from the Safeway if you spent at least $30 in groceries.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anybody remember Childcraft?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childcraft

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. :D

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, when the salesmen have to tell people they're burglars before somebody lets them in, it doesn't help business:

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

In my household, we never bought the updates for World Book after the 1972 edition.

My report in fourth grade about Richard Nixon was really glowing. I can only imagine how confused my teacher was by how I papered over the entire Watergate scandal.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

In college they wouldn't let us use encyclopedias in your bibliographies. I don't think I've looked at one since the 90s.

TBS, I remember pouring over them as a kid. All that info at your fingertips. What will I do now? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted