1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Edward Lodewijk Van Halen

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Splendid Splinter, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Rest Easy

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I'm about to write a short piece on this for the next newscast.

I'm a bit shaken. His music was, truly, the anthem of my teenage years when I was trying to be better -- losing weight, working out in open gyms. Even 30+ years later, I can dig up "5150" on my Spotify and be good to run. I remember ranking my all-time VH songs not that long ago. It's a long-ass list.

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

2020 just keeps on keeping on.

maumann likes this.
  4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sad day. One of the all-time greatest guitar players. So many great Van Halen songs come to mind right now.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fuck. I was never really a hardcore VH fan, but I enjoyed a lot of their stuff.

And Ed seemed like a fairly cool guy, on the basis of some of his relatively recent interviews.

Although obviously he was a little hard to get along with in a band at times.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    FileNotFound and Smallpotatoes like this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I figured that more and more famous people from our age would start dying off. But 2020 is like a giant death bong.

Driftwood and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ah shit.
    RIP

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Dammit.

Knew this was coming -- had seen a variety of 'spare a thought for Eddie' posts from musicians over the past few months -- but this really sucks.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Divorced for years.

10. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

He changed everything in rock and metal. Any male of a certain age has a memory with Van Halen as the soundtrack, either real or imagined.

Fuck.*

*Poundcake and Judgement Day were terrific openers from that album

gingerbread, Driftwood and garrow like this.
  11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

RIP, Eddie. Favorite band of my youth. I joined their fan club when I was 10 years old, I'm sure I have the glossy photos and bandanna in a box somewhere.

There was a pretty good book a couple years ago called "Runnin with the Devil" by their old manager that detailed the band's rise and breakup from the Dave years.

misterbc and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I was in Houston in 1978 visiting a friend. We went to a flea market and he bought a bootleg 8 track of VH I. Went back to his house and listened to it and was just blown away. Hard to think of many (any?) other instances where I can recall the first time I heard a certain song or album. But that one sticks to this day.

The man made sounds with his guitar that I had never heard before and seldom heard since. The GOAT rock and roll guitarist in my view.

A sad, sad day.

gingerbread and exmediahack like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted