1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Editor & Publisher magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OnTheRiver, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The weird thing is there are still about 10,000 magazines out there. Granted a lot of them are trade or niche publications and I'm sure most don't pay real well. But I visit this universal news cafe in NYC and I can't believe how many magazines on every conceivable subject they stock. I do think the days of big launches might be done; Portfolio's failure probably put any remaining doubts to rest.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My wife and subscribed to E&P for a year about a decade ago, we felt like were in some kind of special club. The only E&Ps we ever saw were in the school library and then at our newspaper, but they disappeared as quickly as the Swimsuit Issue in a frat house (and to true journalism goobers, perhaps served a similar purpose).

Not a good thing when your industry is losing its trade publications.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I remember that although the magazine would stay in the school library the centerfolds of pica sticks, proportion wheels, ATEX terminals, TRS80s with acoustic couplers, and lineotype machines would be missing.

4. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Whenever the pages were stuck together, I always told myself it was just from the waxer...

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

The waxer! I'd forgotten about the waxer, but thanks to you, now I can smell the damn thing.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I heard today that Eraser Clapper is going quarterly.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just goes to show that advertising and the Web don't mix.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I know a blacksmith/horseshoer. He's never hurt for money or business. Then again, there aren't too many people in his line of work.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Let's not forget Chalk Makers Digest going online only.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Anyone remember Brill's Content?

It's been gone for a long time now, but that was almost as good as E&P sometimes.

11. Editude

Editude Active Member

I used to try to go through department mail early so I could grab the latest E&P and see what jobs I might reach some day. Seeing openings, real openings with lengthy descriptions, was a real inspiration. A real era ender.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When does "Blogger & Tweeter" launch?

Draft saved Draft deleted