1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, Editor & Publisher magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OnTheRiver, Dec 10, 2009.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=174719

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Holy shit.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wow. That ain't good.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

The big question is this: Will E&P stick around as an online entity, much like Poynter and Romenesko? That wasn't answered here. If not, then you're right: holy shit!

5. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

not surprising. i have fond memories of flipping through the classifieds when i was in college, looking at job openings and picturing myself working at whatever paper had an opening in sports.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My dad always had a stack of E&Ps on a table next to the toilet, so I grew up seeing the mag and thumbing through it even before I had any interest in journalism as a career. Back then, the front cover was dominated by an advertisement -- IIRC, usually Scripps Howard touting one of its newspapers.

I was an intermittent subscriber. When I was looking to move on, I would subscribe so I would receive the help-wanted ads ASAP. Otherwise, I would wait to look through it when the newsroom library finally put it on the shelf. In the 1990s I lived in a city where you could buy E&P at a newsstand, which was not usually the case. By then I thought it had lost its way. They had improved the design and placed less emphasis on just running newspaper companies' press releases, but the upgrades had the opposite effect and made the mag even less relevant. They never did longform reporting/analysis as well as CJR and AJR and they had stopped being a "for the record" source of industry trivia. So, really, E&P no longer performed a useful function. There's a lesson there, I think.

Really, I have not read a copy in about 10 years. Whenever it had anything remotely interesting, Romenesko would link to it.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oof.

Me too. Sad day.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Me three. But E&P died for me as a must read/visit the days I found J-Jobs and Romenesko.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's also huge news that Kirkus is closing. They were extremely well-respected in the book-reviewing business.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, same here, and E&P long ago began to feel like a house organ for the newspaper industry. Like Frank, I haven't seen it in years and years. Still, I remember feeling like a big shot when my parents got me a a subscription to it during college, like I was reading Big Boy magazines now or something.

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

the last time i saw a hard copy of e&p, it was a shell of how i remembered it back when. and of course, few ads, classified or other.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

First thing that came to my mind; second, was when my name appeared in a little item about a new job I'd received. I don't think I've ever been prouder.

Draft saved Draft deleted