1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Eddy Landreth

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Long-time writer in North Carolina, working lately for TarHeelIllustrated.com

I did not know him terribly well but knew him enough to know he was a very good guy, very dedicated to his job and very good at what he did.

Don't know details, so I'm hoping someone can fill us in on some things. His daughter has been posting updates on Facebook and posted moments ago that Eddy had died.

RIP sir.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wrote this last month for the Carrboro Citizen, so I'm not sure if he was there, with the web site or both

http://www.carrborocitizen.com/main/2012/10/04/virginia-tech-game-could-set-tone-for-season/

3. Moddy's right, Eddy was one of the good guys in the business. If you covered the ACC, you knew him from his work previously at the Chapel Hill paper.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

4. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

http://chapelboro.com/Prominent-Local-Sportswriter-Dies-At-48/14730611

Absolutely shocked to find out he was only 48, which means he was only 29 when he was covering the Tar Heels in the 1993 Final Four for the Durham Herald-Sun. He had a calm, mature demeanor about him that belied his youthfulness.

At the Herald-Sun, he had the cubicle next to the agate desk, so in the two years I worked on the desk, we'd cross paths on occasion. He loved talking about two things: golf and politics.

I remember Eddy's vociferous defenses of Democratic policies, loud enough to get heads turning from across the newsroom some evenings. He couldn't have been happier when Clinton won in 1992 -- and made sure to crow about it every chance he got.

I think the only time he was envious of me was when I decided, as a 30-handicapper, to play in the Herald-Sun Classic city tournament. He got stuck having to cover it, but made it a point to ask me every day how I played. Not very well -- lost in the first round of match play -- but had a blast.

While working on the Tobacco Road Final Four tab in 1993 -- after Duke and Carolina had combined for three consecutive NCAA championships, I remember him saying, "You know, we should be doing this every year. " It seemed somewhat arrogant at the time, especially when you consider the difficulty -- and the amount of luck -- required in winning it even once.

But looking back at it now, I think Eddy was just trying to find the reality in a very unreal situation. Sometimes you're so buried in the moment that you fail to see how special it is until after the fact. And that was a pretty amazing time to be in Durham, for many reasons.

My thoughts and prayers to his family. A credit to the profession and an even better human being.

5. Sammi

Sammi Member

Maybe you were shocked to find out he was 48 because he was actually 54. Oops. http://www.chapelhillnews.com/2012/11/08/73709/sportswriter-eddy-landreth-dies.html
    RIP to a good man.

Draft saved Draft deleted