1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Earnest Reese

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nietsroob17, Mar 29, 2012.

1. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Another retired AJC longtimer passes away. Earnest was one of the Atlanta paper's first fulltime black sports writers and covered many small-college football games around the state. I had the pleasure of working alongside him in his last year/my first year covering Georgia Southern in 2002.

Tweets from the AJC:
    A link to his son's website. He appears to be a PhD at a college in California: http://www.csupomona.edu/~rrreese/nonfla/earnest.html

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Got to know him a little bit while covering Georgia State basketball during the Lefty Driesel days. Ernie was about as easy-going as it go, quick with gentle humor and very welcoming to an unknown hack. Definitely a sad day, but the guy lived a full life.

3. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Well, damn. I guess there are probably some old-timers who worked at the AJC who are getting a little concerned about the rule of three right about now.

RIP.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Was on the desk at the AJC in the early 1980s. Ernie, as writers did in those days, took his turns working the rim with us. When he showed up for work, we'd all go "EEEEEEEEEEEEE." To sum it up: He was a good man.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Oh man, another legend gone. Ernie taught me a lot of things and it was a pleasure working along side of him. He worked hard and taught me the value of being versatile. He was a great guy and always spoke what was on his mind. RIP my friend.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Helped each other out a couple of times when he covered those Ga State teams and I covered VCU. Damn good guy. Hate to hear this. RIP

7. Evan Grant

Evan Grant New Member

Ernie Reese was one of the nicest, most empowering men you'd ever meet in Sports Journalism. As a clerk and then a part-timer and intern at the AJC in the 1980s, there were so many talented mentors in so many different ways. The passings of Furman Bisher and Ernie Reese in the last week are tremendous losses as far as sportswriting talent goes, but even bigger losses as people.

8. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

I knew Ernie. Great guy who lived life to the fullest. He got all he could out of living and then some. RIP, my friend.

9. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

My heart is breaking at this news.
    A damn good man and dame fine man to share a pressbox with.
    RIP, my friend.

10. Ernie was such a solid person, writer, gentleman. Especially his voice and laugh -- honey and gravel. Goodbye my friend.

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

A nice obit from the AJC -- http://www.ajc.com/news/earnest-l-reese-jr-1403402.html

12. Sigh. Yeah, another sad loss of a fine man and true professional. RIP Ernie.

Draft saved Draft deleted