1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Duke Snider

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have an autographed baseball of his that I got at a card show about 20+ years ago. Time to put it on eBay. He seemed like a nice guy for the 5-7 seconds I spent standing in front of him as he signed.

RIP to a true great.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You'd be in a good mood, too, if you knew that all that income you were bagging at the card show was tax-free.

Too soon?

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

RIP to one of baseball voices of my youth when he was the colour guy on Expos games with Dave Van Horne.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Don Newcombe, the team's ace pitcher, is also still living. Don Zimmer was a back-up infielder. And Roger Craig was a relief pitcher.

That's about it.

EDIT: This assumes we're talking about just the 1955 Dodgers. Ralph Branca was gone by 55, but he's also still living. Same with Andy Pafko, the starting left fielder in 1951 and 52.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

George Shuba, who had a chapter, even though he was one of many Dodger left fielders, still living.

And Dick Williams, who later went on to managerial fame, was a backup outfielder on the Dodgers in the early 50s and is still alive.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Per the hall: he was likely overshadowed by Mantle and Mays as well his old high school buddy Pete Rozelle.

7. Steak Snabler

If I recall correctly, Snider and Rozelle grew up in Compton, Calif.

Weird how demographics can change so drastically in just a couple of generations.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He had his money/legal brushes later on down the road, but in no way should those detract from his on-field presence.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

All that's left is Willie.

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/456784

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

darn. i swear as i scrolled down i was thinking, 'willie's the only one left from 'willie, mickey and the duke.' good call.

11. Steak Snabler

Of all of Snider's stats, the most impressive might be that he had been married to the same woman since 1947.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Snider was underrated because he played in the same town at the same time as Mays and Mantle. He was a stud. Very good defender, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted