1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Duke Snider

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2011/02/27/2011-02-27_halloffamer_duke_snider_the_last_surviving_regular_of_the_boys_of_summer_dodgers.html

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

RIP to a great one. Way before my time obviously, but I grew up in San Diego listening to Jerry Coleman on the radio...Coleman wasn't a great, but he played with a lot of greats, and he always had a story to tell about these guys.

He's doing it again today with the Duke. Another big part of baseball history passes on.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Who is left from the Boys of Summer? T'ain't many.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

The story says he was the last one.

5. sportsguydave

According to the story, Snider was the last surviving regular. Not sure if that means there are others left or not...maybe that qualification means there's still a pitcher or backup out there somewhere.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don Henley's love remains strong.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Somewhere, Zeke just grabbed a knife and doesn't know why.

RIP to a great one.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Carl Erskine is a pitcher but he's still alive. Had a chapter in the book too.

9. sportsguydave

Which probably explains the "regular" hedge.

Thanks, DJ.

10. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Am I understanding from the article that it took 16 years before he was inducted into the HOF?

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Appears that he got just 17 percent on his first time on the ballot, and had to slowly build from there. Batted .295 with 407 home runs, and my suspicion is that voters of the era were very focused on milestones.

Too bad there wasn't an SportsJournalists.com in 1970. Would have loved to go back in the archives and read the: "Duke Snider: Hall of Famer"? thread.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Just think of the "impeach Nixon" liberal threads.

Draft saved Draft deleted