1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Doug Nye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Longitude, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Longitude

Longitude New Member

Good morning,

Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere. I've been searching the site for the last 20 minutes but couldn't find any mentions about the passing of Doug Nye, the longtime sports journalist from South Carolina.

http://www.thestate.com/2011/06/05/1847884/doug-nye-longtime-journalist-at.html

He's been out of the business since 2004 but spent 35 years as a reporter and editor. I thought he might have a few friends on here who would want to know.

Thanks.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

RIP to Mr. Nye.

When I first saw the thread title, though, I thought it was about Doug Nye the Science Guy.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

And, of course, I've finally recovered from my Old Man Brain Lock and realized it was Bill Nye The Science Guy.

I am a stupid.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Terribly sorry to hear that. Doug was a good guy.

5. Bill Eichenberger

Bill Eichenberger New Member

Was at Doug's funeral Thursday in Columbia. The place was packed. Bobby Richardson spoke, along with former colleague Bob Gillespie, who delivered a moving, from-the-heart eulogy filled with kind comments about Doug from those fortunate enough to work with him. I worked for him early in my career. He was responsible for my making the transition from writer to editor. He lived a full and rich life worth emulating, carefully balancing work and family, no small feat in today's newspaper environment. He was an excellent writer and even better human being. He put up a brave fight against cancer to the very end. He was one of the really good guys. He will be missed.

6. I was the assistant sports editor of The Gamecock in 1978 when Doug Nye hired me as a stringer for the Columbia Record doing high school games on Friday nights. He was a reference on my resume for a long time after that. He was a passionate, caring man who went out of his way to help a kid who didn't know nearly as much as he thought he did. Three decades later, I am still thankful he took the time to get me started.

Thanks, Doug. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted