1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Doug Marlette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Rules of Golf, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Tulsa World editorial cartoonist Doug Marlette died in a single-car accident this morning in Holly Springs, Miss.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070710/NEWS/70710020

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

That's unfortunate. He was one of my favorite editorial cartoonists. My granddad used to have a signed copy of a compilation book of his cartoons from when he was at Charlotte in the mid 1980's.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nooo.. damn... he was good...

4. He taught at my school for a year, and I took a writing class with him. He was good friends with Pat Conroy, who at that time was about to publish My Losing Season. He had Conroy come in one night and teach our class, which ran for three hours every Monday night. Me being from South Carolina, that was a big deal. We had a really great time that night. Something I'll always remember.

5. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

From the Tulsa paper. He'd buried his father on Friday. Damn. RIP.

http://tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070710_1__MEMPH35828&breadcrumb=Breaking%20News

6. Loved his editorial cartoons and, in a nod to the Southern thread, absolutely adored "Kudzu."

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

He also had a novel that wasn't half bad, although I can't remember the name of it. The Bridge, maybe?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Took no prisoners, with his editorial pen.

Did beautiful work. Drew with a light touch.

Will be sorely missed.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But I will say this: no offense to the dearly departed, but Kudzu sucked so much ass. Rarely funny. Shoulda stuck with the ed cartoons.

10. Was he from SC?

11. Conroy is from SC, and if you were into literature and writing as a kid there, you grew up hearing all about him (especially from Citadel grads who hated hated hated The Lords of Discipline). They were best friends, and their back-and-forth during the class was personal and funny and most memorable. I had a hell of semester that year, and I really looked forward to getting that three-hour respite every week in Doug's humor writing class. It was a lot of fun, and Doug was a good guy with some really great stories.

12. You can't live in SC without knowing Conroy lived here. ... Was Marlette from here?

Draft saved Draft deleted