1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Doug Fieger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fishhack2009, Feb 14, 2010.

1. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Lead singer of The Knack. Passed away of cancer today. He was 57.

http://detnews.com/article/20100214/METRO/2140317/Knack-lead-singer-Doug-Fieger-dies-of-cancer

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Fuckabuncha cancer. RIP.

While "My Sharona" and "Good Girls Don't" were hits off the debut, the rest of the album wasn't bad either. Here's one of my favorites:

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I was 13 when that album came out. The Knack gets wrongly pegged as a one-hit wonder. I don't think "Good Girls Don't" was as big a hit as "My Sharona", but it was a hit nonetheless.

The other thing I remember about The Knack is that they were marketed as an American Beatles. That didn't work out so well, but they did catch lightning in a bottle with that debut.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Bummer. The Detroit media had mentioned recently that he was very ill. His brother, Geoffrey, is the best-known attorney in Michigan.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wow, so they are related. My Sharona is perhaps the best "one-hit wonder" song ever, and there was a Sharona the song was based on, and she apparently was never won over by Doug. R.I.P.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great guitar riff, albeit a short one, in My Sharona.

Are we dismissing Good Girls Don't as a hit, making them a two-hit wonder?

7. dooley_womack1

Relatively minor follow-ups to monster hits do not count when considering a one-hit wonder. No song other than My Sharona will be mentioned in or near the lede of any Fieger obit.

8. Moderator1

Well, hell.
    I'd put Good Girls Don't in the second graph.

9. dooley_womack1

It was the title track of a second album that was far less successful than the first. And the song was not a phenomenon the way My Sharona is. The working definition of "one-hit wonder" is not strictly tied to how many songs of a group made the Billboard chart.

10. Moderator1

Submit your figures - we're headed to arbitration!

You know more about music in your sleep than I do fully alert. But if you said The Knack to me, I'd reel off both songs. My guess is most would. A one-hit wonder? You can't name that second song unless you're related or something.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't you go making this about Felipe Lopez again.

12. Moderator1

Well, there's one small difference.
    Fieger wasn't an asshole!

Draft saved Draft deleted