1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Pardo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The legendary TV voice, gone at 96.

http://tvline.com/2014/08/18/don-pardo-dies-dead-saturday-night-live-announcer/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

RIP.

It'll probably come up in later stories, but was he not one of the first people on the air with word JFK had been shot?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Monday Night Dead.

5. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

He had worked continuously for NBC since 1944. That's SEVENTY years.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

We went to the same high school (not at the same time). RIP.

My first memory of him as a child was the voice-over in Weird Al's "I Lost on Jeopardy."

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That was a parody of the original Jeopardy game show with Art Fleming as host. Interestingly, the modern Trebek version debuted a few months after the Weird Al song (it'll be 30 years next month). I don't know if the song sparked a revival or if it was a coincidence.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

May favorite line of his on SNL: "Charlie's Angels Catch the Syph will not be seen tonight..."

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Fun fact: Pardo was the original announcer for the first incarnation of The Price Is Right.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Remember reading somewhere - might have been the SNL oral history - that Phil Hartman did such a great Pardo impression that he subbed for Don as the announcer when he couldn't make a few shows and nobody noticed.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Always liked hearing his voice when he would do Len Berman's "Spanning the World", with the tag line "See you next time, if there IS a next time."

Also enjoyed it when he would announce that SNL was pre-emptied for Saturday Night's Main Event.

RIP

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And Jeopardy.

Edit: D'oh! I see that's already been mentioned. Guess I have to settle for a lovely parting gift.

Tell him what he's won, Don Pardo!

Draft saved Draft deleted