1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Don Chevrier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cansportschick, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

http://www.tsn.ca/ctvnews/sportsstory.asp?story_id=225457

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2007/12/18/don-chevrier.html

Don Chevrier passes away at age of 69 due to blood disorder. Was television voice of the Toronto Blue Jays for 20 years.

He was inducted into Canadian Media Hall of Fame in 2004.

He was part of Grey Cup festivities last month and I enjoyed watching his interview clips about his memories of the CBC's broadcasting of the CFL.

Was hoping to be part of NBC's Olympic coverage in Beijing next year.

A major loss for the Canadian sports broadcasting world.

RIP Don Chevrier.

2. He had a great voice and, as evidenced the past two Winter Olympics on NBC, knew his curling. Can't say that about most people.

RIP.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Original voice of the Blue Jays and a lot of CFL games back in t he 70's.

RIP

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Chevrier and Dave Van Horne in Montreal were the voices of Canadian baseball through my youth.

I saw Chevrier on one of the Jays games this year when he sat in for an inning. Brought back loads of memories and really showed how far the Jays have fallen, as far as a TV voice goes, since Dan Shulman left for greener pastures.

I may be thinking of someone else, but I believe he did the radio broadcast of the Miracle On Ice game too.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Watched him for years on networks on both sides of the border... RIP...

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Don was also a long-time radio host of the Kentucky Derby, IIRC. 

I don't know a lot about him, but I have always enjoyed hearing him on radio for the Derby.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does that mean the Jays have lost both their original voices in the last two years?

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Tom Cheek and Don Chevrier.  It's sounds correct. 

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Correct. Chevrier was great paired with Tony Kubek through the Jays' early years. With Fergie Olver parked in the stands yakking with pitching coach Al Widmar.

10. sabrefan

sabrefan Member

During my younger years, cable service didn't extend down my road so my family depended upon a rooftop antenna. On clear days/nights, we could get CBC on channel 6 and I'd watch with squinting eyes snowy broadcasts of Blue Jays games and Don was on the call.
    An unmistakable voice who never made himself the show.

RIP

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

RIP...

Draft saved Draft deleted