1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Doc Watson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by expendable, May 29, 2012.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/29/us/north-carolina-doc-watson/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

When I was in college I had a job assisting a professional carpet cleaner. One day, my boss was picking up a vacuum from a repair shop in Boone while I sat in the van and waited. He came running out without the vacuum and told me that I really needed to go in. Turns out Doc Watson was in the shop having a jam session with a couple of guys. He was a musician's musician, for sure.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This hurts. I was just watching The Three Pickers on YouTube over the weekend, and was marveling at how well he played at his age. Ricky Skaggs mentioned on that show that Doc was about to turn 80, and I was trying to remember what year that was filmed and how old Doc would be now. Apparently, he was still playing last year, because there are some YouTube videos up of him from 2011.

We'll miss you, Doc.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Watching the WUNC tribute on right now. The man was amazing. I'll miss him more than any other musician I think I've ever had the pleasure of hearing live.

Draft saved Draft deleted