1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Diego Maradona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Such a moment.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know a ton about soccer (of futbol or whatever you call it), but I do know the hand of god goal.

Also know that Maradona was a colorful man and outside of the U.S., he was huge in Kardashian way (although he had done something to earn the fame).

RIP

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Man, I thought he was way older.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I once was laying out a page where a high school soccer team whose mascot was the bulldog lost a game in the final minute on a PK following a handball.

My ‘Hand of Dog’ headline made me laugh harder than it should’ve and given I was in rural Ohio, about 15 percent of the readership probably got the reference.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Simply an outrageous player — balls, balance, strength and insane vision and could take over a game like no one else. He played and lived at 150 mph.

Dog8Cats, garrow and OscarMadison like this.
  7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

Screenshot_2020-11-25 Miguel Delaney on Twitter.png

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

The Hand of God goal wasn't even his best goal of the match.

da man and Scout like this.
  9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

60 is both way too young and vastly exceeding expectations. Never stopped living in the red.

OscarMadison likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What would a good pearly gates cartoon be with Maradona?

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Thank you, God
    For football
    For Maradona
    For the tears
    For this
    Argentina 2, England 0

Did I translate that correctly?

Three straight left foot touches...

The pass to Maradona, he’s got the ball, two defenders on him, he moves the ball, the genius of world soccer drives right, and he gets past the third defender, he could pass to Burruchaga… It’s still Maradona… Genius… genius… genius! Ta… ta… ta… ta… ta… ta… ta…! Goaaalll! Goaaalll!

“I want to cry! Holy God, long live soccer! Oh, what a goal! Diegoal! Maradona! I can’t help crying, forgive me. Maradona, in a memorable drive, in the greatest play of all time… Intergalactic kite, what planet did you come from, to leave so many Englishmen in the dust? To make the whole country into one great, clenched fist, shaking, shouting for Argentina? . . . Diegoal! Diegoal! Diego Armando Maradona! Sweet Lord, thank you for the game of football, for Maradona, for these tears, and for this Argentina 2, England 0.”

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  12. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I like to think of Ovechkin as the Maradona of ice hockey. Physics? Who needs that?

He was one of those players who made you hold your breath because you know something spectacular could be coming.

Draft saved Draft deleted