1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Design House 2012-2014

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bumpy mcgee, May 14, 2013.

1. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

GateHouse Media to close its design hubs in Rockford, IL and Framingham, Mass and move to a yet unknown location less than two years after going to the desk hubs. No clue what this means for current Design Housers, but I'm sure someone in corporate will get another bonus.

http://apple.copydesk.org/2013/05/14/gatehouse-to-close-its-two-new-production-hubs-and-open-an-even-newer-one/

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So they are just packing up the whole shop and moving it to a different location? Or redoing things?

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

This sounds like another cluster**** from Gatehouse. It's another in a line of "how many people can we layoff." They really don't want to pay for paginators and ad designers. Design house wanted papers in California, Colorado and the midwest to have everything built in Massachusetts while the big operations were built in Illinois. The transfer software Gatehouse tried to use was a joke. A few of us argued our way out of going the design house route and I'm glad we did. I think what they may be doing is shifting the design houses closer to some of the papers and increasing the amount of sites so those of us who fought the change can't use our same arguments.

I don't think this is the death of design house, I think it is changing where they house this. Gatehouse recently sold off some of their Illinois papers, so they may want to be getting out of Rockford.

Saxotech is a joke. They moved the small papers over from Zope and then held off moving the larger ones over when they realized just how bad the Saxotech set up is.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZZ96J_PVbk

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Maybe they can go join the <duh duh DUH!> Thunderdomers!

6. Untitled

Untitled New Member

Food for thought.

http://www.ghnewsroom.com/blogs/david-arkin/x1084481428/My-2013-GateHouse-Media-content-resolutions

"By the end of the year, the Design Houses will become recognized centers for high-quality design."

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wokkah wokkah wokkah, yadda yadda yadda.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Typical corporate stupidity. No plan beyond the next quarter, other than collecting bonuses.

Feel sorry for everyone, especially anyone who moved so they could work at the hubs. It's one thing to say that, with this industry, they should have known what they were getting into. But even so, you'd think that they'd stick with a new plan for longer than a year.

Draft saved Draft deleted