1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dear Abby

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/18/business/media/pauline-phillips-flinty-adviser-to-millions-as-dear-abby-dies-at-94.html?smid=tw-bna&bna=2875&_r=0

Could almost go on the journo board. She was a good one.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Single biggest thing I miss now that I don't get newspapers. It was a must-read for me every day. RIP.

All-time favorite had to be the one from the woman whose husband threw up immediately after sex, every time. (I can't be sure if this was Dear Abby or Ann Landers now that I think about it, but ... the genre was very enjoyable.)

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sorry to see this. RIP to a true character (and thanks for the NYT link, they did a good job with the obit).

We run "Dear Abby" (now written by her daughter) in our paper and it's often the best read in the whole thing.

4. rascalface

rascalface Member

Dear Abby, Dear Abby, you have no complaint. You are what you are and you ain't what you ain't. So listen up, buster, and listen up good. Stop wishing for bad luck and knockin' on wood. Signed, Dear Abby.

RIP.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dear Abby

I am currently a student athlete at a large Midwestern college ...........

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's Dear Abby, not Penthouse Forum.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I have a memory of, as a small boy in the early 60s, age 4 or 5, traveling in the car to run errands with my mother and sometimes on these trips, the local CBS radio station would run a two-minute "Dear Abby" segment with Abby and her announcer, Harry Bartell, reading and responding to a letter. I always thought that was nice. I still read the column. I was glad that her daughter continued it and still is.

RIP to an American original.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

One of my favorites was a woman complaining that her neighbor had a medical condition that required a lot of urine samples being sent to the doctor, and said neighbor often asked the woman to deliver the sample. She signed off her name as "It's Urine, Not Mine."

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

What a fantastically written obituary.

I'm sad she passed, I can't stand that she suffered from Alzheimers and I hope it was OK to laugh while reading that story.

10. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

You're darn right it was OK to laugh. Putting the old column excerpts in between the story was fantastic.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I once worked at a paper, which, facing a space crunch, packaged Dear Abby on the comics page.
    The first week, one of the letters was from a woman who was confused about a certain aspect of ...
    Her letter said she considered herself to be fairly progressive about making love, but was starting to hear about something called oral sex. "Does that mean you just talk about it?"

Daddy, can I have the comics page?
    Sure, son.
    Daddy, what's oral sex?

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Very touching tribute piece from her daughter. RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted