1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Foster Wallace

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Sep 13, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Oh no.

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

Speechless.

3. god

just heard this

this is a rough one

found by his wife

46 years old

what the fuck would compel a person to do this

no matter how bad things are, aren't they worse if you're dead?

SteveRomano13 likes this.
  4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's rational thinking applied to a most irrational moment or stretch in one's life, depending on all the factors involved. Sometimes the only thing that seems to matter is ending the pain or anguish of the moment.

Always sad, regardless of fame or talent or age.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

RIP from a Nuck, no matter how awful he made us seem.

YD&OHS, etc

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Was never a fan, but appreciate his bootprint on the world of literature. The creative writing department at Illinois State, in which I was a student, has his fingerprints all over it. I found most of the professors fawned over him way too much.

But he will be missed. I was curious to see what writing cliche he'd next dismantle.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Far and away one of the best novelists of our times -- and a hell of a reporter. His story on McCain's campaign during the 2000 election cycle was a masterpiece.

I'll forever regret not going to meet him while he was at Illinois State and I was working in Champaign.

Looks like his demons finally caught him.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

Into the black hole, another light goes.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

God dammit.

This sucks.

Devastated.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I had, at times, mixed feelings about DFW's fiction, but his non-fiction always represented the best of what we do. He took risks, big ones, and though he had his share of misses, he has a fascinating mind and a wonderful imagination. The worlds of literature and journalism are less today.

Take the time, if you can, and read his essay/story profiling Roger Federer from the NYT Play Magazine last year. A wonderful meditation on the beauty and artistry of athletic competition.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/20/sports/playmagazine/20federer.html?pagewanted=all

11. joe

joe Active Member

Here's that Rolling Stone article on McCain that I referenced above.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/18420304/the_weasel_twelve_monkeys_and_the_shrub

Draft saved Draft deleted