1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP, David Bowie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

jr/shotglass, HC and YankeeFan like this.
  2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Tony Visconti, David Bowie’s Longtime Producer,
    Writes Moving Tribute Calling Singer’s Death a ‘Work of Art’

He always did what he wanted to do. And he wanted to do it his way and he wanted to do it the best way. His death was no different from his life - a work of Art. He made Blackstar for us, his parting gift. I knew for a year this was the way it would be. I wasn't, however, prepared for it. He was an extraordinary man, full of love and life. He will always be with us. For now, it is appropriate to cry.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Count me as another taken by surprise here. I didn't see it coming.

I don't know if this even makes sense. But for decades, I always considered Bowie not to be my style of music. And for decades, he'd keep coming up with something you had to realize was outstanding music.

Genius barely does him justice.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Over the years I've seen people write that MGMT has a Bowie vibe, especially their costumes. I can listen to this on a loop all day.

Screen shot 2016-01-11 at 12.22.20 PM.png

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Introduced to Bowie as a freshman in college; a guy down the hall was a Bowie freak and he played Ziggy Stardust incessantly. And, strangely enough, it never got old. It was one of the few records that you could listen to all the time and never get tired of it. To me, his output after Heroes was a little uneven, but that was probably just my tastes.

Ironically, my wife and I were watching one of the football games this weekend, and a commercial for his new record came on. She remarked at how bad he looked. Now we know why. RIP to true original, and one of the greats.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Also wrote "All The Young Dudes"......killer song.....

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I don't generally go looking for "gayness" from 80s videos. Videos from that era were mostly all poorly produced, poorly done lip-synched acting jobs anyway. I've always liked that two dudes who were max iconic could still be down-to-earth enough to pull off a stunt like that and seem to have fun with it. And comparing George Michael with Bowie or Jagger is a lost cause anyway you slice it.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Perhaps his best song.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Grew up with "Fame" and "Young Americans" on AM radio. Damn shame, may he RIP.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Listened to this on our walk today. RIP

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like everything Bowie ever did. Of all his hits,
    I probably like "Young Americans" and "Rebel, Rebel" best.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think one of my earliest memories is of hearing "wham, bam, thank you ma'am" from "Suffragette City" on the radio.

Draft saved Draft deleted