1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dave Koerner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lollygagger, Oct 21, 2006.

1. lollygagger

lollygagger Member

I haven't seen this here, and it bears mentioning.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061020/SPORTS/61020019

Koerner was a good all-purpose sports writer and a good guy. My sympathy to his family and those who knew and worked with him in Louisville.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This makes me sad.

He and I were friendly competitors at my first stop, and we frequently crossed paths. After I left, we'd exchange pleasantries when we'd see one another after that.

He just retired recently. He had some health problems he was perpetually trying to overcome in the time I knew him, and from what I had heard, it seemed he had licked some of them.

His weight was of constant concern when I was around, I frequently got updates from him on his work regimen and was once memorably asked to critique what I thought about his physique, still the most memorable oddball exchange I've ever had with a peer.

I'll never forget covering a Jeffersonville-Louisville Ballard game at Ballard's tiny (by Indiana standards) gym in the late 90s. I remember poor Dave sitting up there among the student section because I had beaten him to the only press table seat. The game was decided on a controversal 3-point call for Ballard, and I remember Dave and I badgering the hell out of the Jeffersonville kid filming the game to show us a replay.

That's just one of many stories. He was an interesting guy. Great to ask do interviews with, we'd feed off of each others questions, following one another up, trying to get the better quote. He raised the bar for me as a young reporter, I knew I couldn't bring any weak questions into the discussion.

RIP Dave. I enjoyed sharing a press table with you. God bless you and your family.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

In this business, it's rare that the first thing you think about a person is "a nice man." He most definitely was every bit of that.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Just want to echo Bubbler's sentiments.

I first met Dave when he was covering U of L in the mid 90s. He was always courteous and respectful to me and my student peers.

He was indeed a great guy. We'll miss you, Dave.

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

5. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Why is it 'rare' to find nice people in this biz? Been my experience that the assholes are more rare than the nice ones.

Draft saved Draft deleted