1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dave Jennings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Former Giants punter, who, outside Harry Carson and Brad Van Pelt, was one of the few reasons to watch the team in the '70s, died at 61. He had Parkinson's.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/former-giants-punter-dave-jennings-180144741--nfl.html

Also was probably the second-best punter in his time behind Ray Guy. He also was a very good broadcaster with the Jets alongside Marty Glickman and came back to the Giants' booth for a few years.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, iit got lost under the pile of gandolfini react news. dave was a very good guy and an excellent radio color man, so good folks often wondered why ne never got a tv network gig. his standard reply: 'i'm not a quarterback.' i always thought he was held back by what i thought was his onee weakness: dave was dead serious, somber even, on the air presence.

i was on a local cable tv football show in the late '80s. also on the show was tight end mickey shuler. after dave was finished with an answer to a 'football question,' shuler followed with: 'well. a PLAYER'S perspective...' just in case any fan would respect a kicker's opinion.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Sorry to read this. I'm old enough to remember his playing days. As mentioned above, an insightful radio man. IIRC, I heard him working with Paul Olden and Ian Eagle back in the day. RIP

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Definitely a staple on those Giants teams. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted