1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dave Duerson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

As a Notre Dame fan, sad to hear this. My father called me in sick on a bogus "college visit" when I was a senior in high school so we could drive from upstate NY to South Bend to watch ND play Michigan State in 1980, when Duerson was a sophomore.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This story is about to get a whole lot bigger.

Shot himself in the heart.

Because he wants his brain preserved to study effects of football on the brain.

That was his text-messaged suicide note.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Self inflicted gunshot wound to the heart, specified that his brain be donated to research studying long term effects of head injuries and athletes.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

holy crap. this is already the front-runner for 'sports story of the year.' damn.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Football is fucked.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seems unclear whether he did this because he was having medical issues, or for other reasons and donated the brain as a secondary issue. Either way, horrifying and sickening story. I knew duerson pretty well in the 80s...so bright and interesting and really accomplished. Just a horrible tragedy, I hope we can get the rest of the real story here.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's two strong safeties in about five years. And Goodell wants to play more games.

10. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Wow. That news floored me.

How tragic.

11. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Holy moly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/20/sports/football/20duerson.html

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Whatever Greg Aiello's plans were for Monday just got scrapped. Gotta meet with the big cheese, come up with a way to steadily dismiss whatever findings are found on Duerson's brain.

Draft saved Draft deleted