1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Darrell K Royal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8602286/darrell-royal-former-longhorns-coach-dies-age-88

Never met him, but seemed like a fascinating person.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: RIP Darrell K. Royal

RIP . Met him once and had brief conversation about the bone. Normally not a picture guy but badly wanted one with Royal and he was kind enough to agree.

I came of football age during the Texas Bone era and I thought it was the slickest thing going. James Street and Woo Woo Wooster - a nice era of College football.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

First read about him when I read Meat on the Hoof. Great book.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Probably not Royal's favorite, but yes it was a good book.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Among other things, Royal can take partial credit for Alabama's success in the 1970s. Bryant famously went to Austin to meet with Royal during the 1970-71 offseason to learn the principles of the wishbone. Alabama installed it in secret during fall camp and sprung it on USC in the 1971 season opener at the LA Coliseum. That kick-started a run of 8 SEC championships in 9 years, including 3 national titles.

BTW, the ESPN link has a pull quote crediting Royal with the famed line "Only 3 things can happen when you pass, and 2 of them are bad." I think every great coach from pre-1980 gets credited with that, but Beano Cook said it was Bob Neyland, so I'll go with that.

Anyway, RIP DKR.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

RIP. Had one of the best quotes I've ever heard. "Three things can happen when you pass and two of 'em are bad."

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that. RIP

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Crossed paths with him a few times after he was out of coaching and always found him to be a very nice man. Sorry to hear this but given his recent health problems, he's in a better place.

BTW, the proper spelling of his name has no period after the K because the K isn't short for anything.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

I had always heard that was Woody Hayes, but see post above yours.

10. Steak Snabler

As I noted above, that's been alternately attributed to Royal and Woody Hayes (Royal was the first one quoted in print saying it, but he later said he heard it from Hayes). But Beano Cook always said it originally came from Bob Neyland, so that's good enough for me.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/10/04/pass-3-things/

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sad, but not unexpected. RIP

12. Steak Snabler

Great appreciation piece from Ivan Maisel. I had forgotten that Royal was so accomplished as a player:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8602432/darrell-k-royal-won-three-national-titles-texas-coach-dies-88-college-football

Draft saved Draft deleted