1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dan Jenkins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

God, this one hurts. Best CFB writer ever, in my book.
    Great on golf, too, and some of his books were dead solid perfect.

RIP to a guy who was a living legend for all of my own damn adulthood.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shit. One of my heroes. He got a lot of love for Semi-Tough but Dead Solid Perfect was, well, Dead Solid Perfect

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. Slacker

5. Slacker

No, this one. The rollicking adventures
    of a semi-tough sportswriter. Find it, read it.

[​IMG]

Big Circus and ChrisLong like this.
  6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I've read it.

Slacker likes this.
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The greatest. Golf majors won’t be the same this year, or ever.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Damn. Damn.

9. Slacker

A wide-ranging discourse from 2005 ...

Knock on Dan Jenkins’ front door and you’re unexpectedly greeted by a kind, charming gentleman who belies the irascible, PC-bashing writer alter ego – an alter ego whose journalism has skewered the bland, clueless, dumb and under-performing sports figures for more than 50 years. In that span, the athletic climate has turned from blissfully innocent and genuine to increasingly cynical and jaded, giving Jenkins ample opportunity to expose the culprits.

At the risk of blowing his cover, Jenkins is everyone’s favorite Grandpa.

Yet, give him a keyboard and the words spew in blunt, honest rants pecking at all things sacrosanct in the sports landscape.

Raised in Fort Worth, Jenkins is a true media legend. He’s penned over 500 magazine articles for Sports Illustrated, Playboy and Golf Digest, and written 17 novels including “Semi-Tough,” “Dead Solid Perfect,” and the just-released “Slim and None.” His original writing style has inspired many current columnists and authors, and entertained fans for generations. Jenkins’ peers validated his breadth of work by voting him in the World and National Sportswriters Hall of Fame.

Jenkins has seen a lot during his writing career. Imagine watching Snead, Nelson, Hogan, Palmer and Player in their primes. Sprinkle in Super Bowls, college football championships and over five decades of majors, and you’ll quickly develop an appreciation for his rich life.

He was gracious enough to offer his opinions on a multitude of subjects and as usual, swung with full uppercuts.

https://myavidgolfer.com/strong-words/

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jenkins was one of those writers I'd read and say "Wait - you can do THAT as a sportswriter." Loved Semi-Tough, Loved Life Its Ownself (the sequel), loved the sarcasm the "why is everyone getting so worked up about this game" mentality that kept sports in perspective. Was he the first "funny" sportswriter? Probably the first one who made me laugh - and not at someone else's expense either.

I can't pick just one - or five - or 10.

Dan Jenkins Quotes - BrainyQuote

11. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

I kind of wish this was a little longer.

misterbc and Double Down like this.
  12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Now I want to read this.

Chef2 and Slacker like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted