1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Craig Schmidt - aka Frank Ridgeway

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 28, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My responses to you don't do it?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

My thought exactly about myself, sir. Well put.

JC likes this.
  3. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Didn't know him IRL, but he's one of those I considered a core SJ'er and would have loved to have met him.

We lost another good one, and this sucks.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I didn't know Frank Ridgeway's real identity, but I figured out early on that he and Craig Stanke were two posters who knew more about the business than I ever would. If you were a young journalist on this board and not paying very close attention to anything they posted you were doing yourself a disservice.

RIP to both Craigs.

5. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

6. KVV33

KVV33 Member

I remember thinking a few years ago: It's going to be weird when people start dying, because I feel like I know them through this place, but I'm not sure I really know them. And in recent years, we've lost a handful of people who I feel like I've been reading for a decade.

I think it's obvious this place has changed, and there are fewer and fewer journalism conversations. Most of what I see is bickering and fighting and thinly-veiled rage, shit you probably wouldn't say if your name was attached to it. Journalism has broken a lot of hearts in the last decade, and so talking about it the way we once did probably feels like a pointless exercise. But I wouldn't be the journalist I am today without a lot of hours of reading this place, and people like Frank were a huge part of that.

Family isn't the right word for what we are/were, but tribe is as good as any. Frank was part of my tribe. And I will miss him.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Terrible news. Always came away from a conversation with him having learned something new or thinking about a topic in a different way. I consider Frank_Ridgeway to be one of my journalism mentors, even though I never had the good fortune of working with him. RIP.

Dog8Cats likes this.
  8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Much like he did on this site.

What's with everyone seemingly dying much too young?

Once again, a reminder to everyone that each day is not a given, but a gift.

It's scary, sometimes, to realize that we really don't know when our last day will be. It reminds me, again, that I need to try to make each a great one.

RIP, Craig.

Vombatus and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Buckweaver, JR and shotty all said what I was thinking, and did a much better job of it.

Never met the man. All I know is that he knew what he was talking about. And he let you know it, without being a jerk.

RIP.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Count me among those who knew Frank only from his posts here and developed a tremendous respect for him through that connection. I've known, or known of, too many great people in our business who have died too young. Add one more to the list.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I'm curious -- is this the Craig Schmidt that worked in San Diego in the early '90s before going to New York? If so, I worked with him there when I was still a college kid. Either way, sad thing to see lose not just someone from this board, but someone who's put in a lot of time in this thankless business and who really should have had many more years to live.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

RIP Frank/Craig.

He was one of the posters who was just an SJ.com Hall of Famer.

Do seem to be a lot of us dying young. I just saw a study that showed working 55 hours or more a week gives a a 33 percent greater risk of stroke and put you more at risk for a heart attack.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted