1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Craig Schmidt - aka Frank Ridgeway

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Very sad news. I didn't know him but I certainly grew to have tremendous respect for him from his posts throughout the years. RIP, sir.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

A lot of people here on SJ.com love journalism, none more so than Craig. I enjoyed getting to know him better the past several years off the board, as well. He was a true gentleman.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

What a bummer. My favorite Ridgeway interaction on here was when he got upset with me during a discussion about sack suits and vintage clothing, of all things. He was definitely the board sartorialist (and probably would be the first guy to tell me that isn't a word!). I really liked it when he weighed in on journalism-related threads. You knew you were hearing from a lifer. ... and one who was good at his trade. I was bummed out when he said he was part of the Daily News purge a few weeks ago. Just shitty stuff all around.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Damn. Always liked seeing what he had to say.

Guess I'll go eat somewhere besides Olive Garden in his memory.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Man. That is terrible. I didn't know him personally, but I know plenty who did, and they all said he was the best.

RIP.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Much too young.

RIP Craig, you left a giant mark on this business, did it the right way and made it infinitely better.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

See ya in the Great Beyond, Craig. Thanks for posting here and letting us into your world.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is so sad. I never met Frank but every time he posted about journalism, I knew he was a consummate pro.

Like Ragu said, he was the board expert on men's clothing and style. For some reason, I remember one conversation where we discussed formal dressing. Based on his upbringing, tuxedos didn't qualify as formal. And yeah, he was right

RIP Craig/Frank.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I didn't know him, but I always enjoyed his posts. I had wished him luck after he announced his layoff and he had liked my post, which I think was our last interaction here.

RIP

10. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Craig was one of the first people to offer me support after my Craig died. He quickly became a good friend. I am going to miss him.

My thoughts are with his family and especially his wife, Deb.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I hate that it takes something like this to remind me that I don't have to be such an asshole on this board. RIP, Craig.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Didn't know him outside of here, but knew others who worked with him. A gentleman and class act. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted