1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Col. Reb?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Feb 23, 2010.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I didn't notice that at all when I was in school there in the 90s.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did we go to school together?

Same thing happened at my high school. I didn't care. And, honestly, nobody cared that much except for the people whining about "political correctness!" When the football coach ordered uniforms in Carolina blue and red, instead of gray and red, there was more of an outcry.

3. mb

mb Active Member

Heaven needed a cartoonish, possibly racist, plantation owner mascot?

4. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I lived there in the mid-90s. Don't know how much time you spent away from the school and fellow classmates, but I can tell you, I don't really have an personal motivation to make it up.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Nor did I when I graduated there in 2007.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I hate stupid people, too.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

This is who I think of when I hear Admiral Ackbar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skandor_Akbar

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

For the sake of argument, let's just say Oxford is the least racist town in Mississippi. Where does that leave us?

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Guess not. Our school colors were and still are maroon and gray. Which is actually funny because I swear at some point a paint salesman came through our state with a real deal on maroon paint. There are at least six high schools within a 100 mile radius that have maroon as their primary color.

10. TeamBud

TeamBud Member

From the wiki article, "Rebels were the choice of 18 out of 21 sports writers and the university's sports teams have since been known as the Rebels."

Proof that 86% of sports journalists are racist. :)

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If Ole Miss uses Admiral Akhbar as a mascot, will the cheerleaders dress like Princess Leia? In the metal bikini?

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I hope this wins. He was a great rebel leader, after all.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted