1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP CNN/SI's Fred Hickman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by maumann, Nov 9, 2022.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Lou Scally just kicked his dog.

RIP to my appointment viewing during summer nights when I was off from school.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I know CBS’ Russ Mitchell is in Cleveland now.

PCLoadLetter and Liut like this.
  3. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

We didn’t get ESPN north of the 49th, so Fred and Nick were the best option for those of us who wanted a US based national show. It was appointment viewing for me at the time.

garrow, JC, Huggy and 1 other person like this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Fred and Nick were tremendous and so far ahead of things at the time. Definitely made SportsCenter have to step up its game.

RIP.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spot on, it was light years ahead of what TSN was doing at the time.

Tighthead likes this.
  6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I thought Hickman and Charles were the best team until Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann came along.

But what killed their show was the move to specialized channels. They were sports guys on a news channel. Viewers started to watch specialized channels and a sports show stopped working on a newschannel. The same thing happened in AM radio when all sports stations were created.

7. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago, I was covering an NFL game in New Orleans and literally bumped into Fred Hickman in the press box. He still had that big smile and we chatted for a few minutes, and I was grateful for the opportunity to tell him that I loved the CNN show.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

It was when he was working in Detroit

https://outlet.historicimages.com/products/dfpy06105

9. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Patrick, of course, worked with both at CNN

Liut likes this.
  10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nobody quits cocaine. You try not to do it again but you never quit.

JC likes this.
  11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Fred was also a national sports anchor in an era where the money was plentiful and the cocaine was flowing, if one wanted. Not unusual for sports anchors to be clearing $300k at the local level in 1985 if they had high ratings.

That path of CNN/ESPN -> New Orleans -> Baton Rouge -> Hagerstown, Maryland probably, as PCLL noted, suggested the back half of his career may have been a sports version of Dirk Diggler's 1980s. Reading about some of the "feel good" articles about his cocaine battles. Feels like this would have been real tough for him to conquer, even decades later.

He was very smooth on the air but I often found his anchoring tone insincere. CNN did have one advantage on the ESPN product by the early-90s. Once ESPN got MLB in 1990 (or with college hoops before that), one didn't always know when SportsCenter would start. CNN started at the same time every night. That did matter.

RIP.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
    HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Typist Clerk

Typist Clerk Well-Known Member

The Gulf War killed CNN Sports Tonight. Once the shooting started, CNN went all-Gulf War and there was no time for a sports newscast, which in the early days of the network was the most sophisticated half-hour on it. CNN frequently didn't have video of a big news event, but the sports highlights were always there.

Liut, LanceyHoward and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted