1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Cliff Robertson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Sep 11, 2011.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Cliff Robertson, the ruggedly handsome actor who won an Oscar for “Charly” but found himself frozen out of jobs for almost four years after he exposed a prominent Hollywood studio boss as a forger and embezzler, died Saturday on Long Island. He was 88 and lived in Water Mill, N.Y. A son-in-law, Donald Saunders, said Mr. Robertson died at Stony Brook University Medical Center a day after his birthday.

[​IMG]

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/11/movies/cliff-robertson-oscar-winning-rebel-dies-at-88.html​

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

RIP.

I can think of several roles of his in movies I really like, including the scheming Sen. Joe Cantwell in 1964's "The Best Man," in 1980s star-crossed "Brainstorm," and as Hugh Hefner in "Star 80."

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A Shame.

His turn as a special guest villain on Batman was my first introduction to Robertson's work. RIP.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Outstanding also in "Three Days of the Condor."

RIP

5. First time I saw Cliff Robertson was in PT 109. Remained a fan ever since.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

He was great in The Client ... er, Midway.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Also played Uncle Ben in all three "Spider-Man" movies and The Big Kahuna in "Gidget." RIP

8. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/oscar-winning-actor-cliff-robertson-233773

One of my favorite films I liked him in was "Sunday In New York" (1964) where he played Jane Fonda's big brother to her kid sister. He will be missed as one of the classier guys in Hollywood, I would hope. RIP

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Great Movie.

Seemed like a great guy.

RIP

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Nice that two people pulled the reference to that flick. One of the most underrated 1970s-conspiracy theory-shadow government type of movie out there. Faye Dunaway never looked better. Great exchange between Cliff Robertson and John Houseman about Houseman's experiences in WWI and WWII.

"Do you miss that kind of action?"

"I miss that kind of clarity."

Max von Sydow also really good in that movie.

11. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I agree that Robertson was awesome in Three Days of the Condor. One of my favorite flicks of the decade. Max von Sydow was awesome in it too. Redford, not so much. But at least it had John Houseman.....

12. spurtswriter

spurtswriter Member

He was superb in "Charly." Just superb.

Draft saved Draft deleted