1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Chuck Muncie

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, May 14, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Man, Merlin Olsen & Dick Enberg were great to listen to back then. Seems like we always got an AFC West game in the afternoons where I lived growing up and that meant the two of them or Charlie Jones and his crew doing a game.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Damn, I watched him in person play with Joe Roth. Back then, only one team from the Pac-8, usually USC, went to a major bowl. He was a great combo of speed and size.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fun player to watch from my youth days. Sadly, I remember him for being one of the first big names (of my era, anyway) to be linked to drug use, back in the early 80s.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

SI cover from January 1981:

[​IMG]

I don't know what's more retro, Muncie's facemask or a white DB in the NFL (the Bills' Steve Freeman, No. 22).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. The Air Coryell Chargers and Muncie's on the cover?!

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Always thought that style of facemask was cool as hell when I was a kid.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I have the book written by his agent, Mike Trope, who as a punk collegian, somehow convinced Johnny Rodgers to let him represent him.
    The Muncie unattended dog story is classic. Said he was going to be gone for the weekend, left a bunch of dog food with the neighbors. He was gone for months. Neighbors were afraid of the dogs so the just threw the food in through the window. Dogs had reproduced and there was dogshit everywhere in the house.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't know. Ask him.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Muncie was more than a banger. The guy was a remarkible combination of size and speed. He ran like a 200 pound halfback despite being much bigger. He would thrive in any era.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He was an incredible talent-- I remember him being kinda cut in the Herschel Walker/Marcus Dupree mold--a 6'3" 230 RB who ran like the wind and with power. When he was on, he looked unstoppable.

But unfortunately his name was rather sullied by all the drug stories about him. Usually one of the first football names mentioned whenever "80s cocaine era" discussions get started.

Draft saved Draft deleted