1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Chrissy Amphlett

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The lead singer of Divinyls died of cancer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/10009695/Chrissy-Amphlett-Divinyls-lead-singer-dies-aged-53.html

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"I Touch Myself" was quite the song.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

She touched herself, I touched myself, I think a lot of people were touching themselves. The Divinyls were not poetry in music, or anything like that, but God, I loved the video to "I Touch Myself." There are few other women who could have performed that song quite the way she did and made it work that well. It sounds like she had a rough last few years. RIP.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Didn't realize she had been ill. RIP.

Loved their debut album:

[​IMG]

Just good 80s power pop. Boys in Town is a fantastic tune if anyone is so inclined to check it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Divinyls stuff was the equivalent of "album cut" stuff in the first few years of MTV. Boys in Town and Pleasure and Pain were darn good songs. I Touch Myself felt like a bit of a sellout, but not a bad song (and NOT about breast examination). Seemed as if she tried to put a brave face on a horrible situation. R.I.P.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The Divinyls deserved a more illustrious history. Great "pop" one-hit, but a much deeper playlist than that,

RIP Chrissy. She suffered a long time.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"Pleasure and Pain" first charted on 1/25/86, stayed on the charts for 7 weeks and peaked at No. 76. Chrysalis 42916.

8. Punishment for touching herself.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

She had a great style; back in the day when she showed up in Nashville (with the Romantics opening) her school girl outfit was one she got from a local thrift store...it was from Harpeth Hall, the snobby, all-girls school (which, as it turns out, is the school that Reese Witherspoon graduated from).

Always thought the band was a wanna be Bow Wow Wow but were entertaining nonetheless.

10. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

To paraphrase a line from one of their songs, "too SOON too young"...

And yes, Boys in Town was a sweet song. I still play it every once in a while whenever I'm in the mood to hear her scream "Get me out of here..."

RIP. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted